↓ Skip to main content

Dove Medical Press

Article Metrics

Ocular tuberculosis: current perspectives

Overview of attention for article published in Clinical Ophthalmology, November 2015
Altmetric Badge

About this Attention Score

  • In the top 25% of all research outputs scored by Altmetric
  • Good Attention Score compared to outputs of the same age (79th percentile)
  • High Attention Score compared to outputs of the same age and source (85th percentile)

Mentioned by

twitter
11 tweeters

Citations

dimensions_citation
40 Dimensions

Readers on

mendeley
56 Mendeley
Title
Ocular tuberculosis: current perspectives
Published in
Clinical Ophthalmology, November 2015
DOI 10.2147/opth.s65254
Pubmed ID
Authors

Faiz Shakarchi

Abstract

The World Health Organization currently estimates that nearly two billion people, or one-third of the world's population, are infected by tuberculosis, and that roughly 10% of the infected people are symptomatic. Tuberculosis affects the lungs in 80% of patients, while in the remaining 20% the disease may affect other organs, including the eye. Uveitis can be seen concurrently with tuberculosis, but a direct association is difficult to prove. Ocular tuberculosis is usually not associated with clinical evidence of pulmonary tuberculosis, as up to 60% of extrapulmonary tuberculosis patients may not have pulmonary disease. The diagnosis of tuberculous uveitis is often problematic and in nearly all reported cases, the diagnosis was only presumptive. Tuberculous uveitis is a great mimicker of various uveitis entities and it can be considered in the differential diagnosis of any type of intraocular inflammation. It is still unknown if ocular manifestations result from a direct mycobacterium infection or hypersensitivity reaction and this is reflected on the management of tuberculous uveitis. Prevalence of tuberculosis as an etiology of uveitis may reach up to 10% in endemic areas. Tuberculous uveitis is a vision-threatening disease that inevitably leads to blindness if not properly diagnosed and treated. The aim of this review is to illustrate the various clinical features and management of presumed tuberculous uveitis. The current review focuses on the diagnostic criteria, significance of tuberculin skin test, and use of systemic corticosteroids in the management of tuberculous uveitis as recommended in recent publications.

Twitter Demographics

The data shown below were collected from the profiles of 11 tweeters who shared this research output. Click here to find out more about how the information was compiled.

Mendeley readers

The data shown below were compiled from readership statistics for 56 Mendeley readers of this research output. Click here to see the associated Mendeley record.

Geographical breakdown

Country Count As %
Spain 1 2%
United Kingdom 1 2%
Unknown 54 96%

Demographic breakdown

Readers by professional status Count As %
Student > Postgraduate 15 27%
Student > Bachelor 11 20%
Student > Ph. D. Student 6 11%
Student > Master 6 11%
Unspecified 5 9%
Other 13 23%
Readers by discipline Count As %
Medicine and Dentistry 41 73%
Unspecified 6 11%
Agricultural and Biological Sciences 3 5%
Immunology and Microbiology 3 5%
Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology 2 4%
Other 1 2%

Attention Score in Context

This research output has an Altmetric Attention Score of 6. This is our high-level measure of the quality and quantity of online attention that it has received. This Attention Score, as well as the ranking and number of research outputs shown below, was calculated when the research output was last mentioned on 07 January 2016.
All research outputs
#3,074,528
of 13,793,900 outputs
Outputs from Clinical Ophthalmology
#168
of 1,849 outputs
Outputs of similar age
#74,895
of 358,970 outputs
Outputs of similar age from Clinical Ophthalmology
#10
of 71 outputs
Altmetric has tracked 13,793,900 research outputs across all sources so far. Compared to these this one has done well and is in the 77th percentile: it's in the top 25% of all research outputs ever tracked by Altmetric.
So far Altmetric has tracked 1,849 research outputs from this source. They receive a mean Attention Score of 3.5. This one has done particularly well, scoring higher than 90% of its peers.
Older research outputs will score higher simply because they've had more time to accumulate mentions. To account for age we can compare this Altmetric Attention Score to the 358,970 tracked outputs that were published within six weeks on either side of this one in any source. This one has done well, scoring higher than 79% of its contemporaries.
We're also able to compare this research output to 71 others from the same source and published within six weeks on either side of this one. This one has done well, scoring higher than 85% of its contemporaries.